What to Expect
River cruising offers an unparalleled level of convenience, and you will enjoy smooth and peaceful sailing throughout your cruise. You will only unpack once in your comfortable, fully equipped cabin.
It is more like a private club than a Las Vegas vacation. There are no all night parties, casinos on board (though some towns you visit may have them) or midnight buffets. There are no long lines to dine and no getting a number just to get off the ship. You will never have to tender into port as you stop right in the heart of a town.
River cruising in Europe is all about experiencing and learning about the history and cities that are along the river. When you are cruising during the daytime it is often through some of the most historical and scenic spots in the area. Land is always in view so you're never just looking at water. Unique to Amadeus is that the restaurant is located on the mid-deck which offers you floor to ceiling windows for great viewing while dining.
There is no sea sickness and you only have to unpack once as your floating hotel will take you to your next adventure. Plus there are no inside cabins or port holes, all cabins have a window or a French Balcony.
Nine Reasons to Take a River Cruise over an Ocean Cruise
- Fewer people: Ocean cruise lines can have 3,000 to 5,000 people on board. Your river cruise will have only 150 passengers. You'll never wait in long lines to get on or off the ship.
- Never get sea sick: You'll never experience rough water - only smooth and peaceful river sailing throughout your cruise.
- Local destinations: Ocean cruises are restricted to cities near major bodies of water, while river cruise allow you to explore Europe's history rich cities and villages that are inaccessible except by river.
- Dock right in town: River cruises allow docking right in the heart of a port town. Ocean cruise lines often stop way outside of the town you are visiting - as far as 70 miles away. The river cruise not only saves you time, it allows you to easily maximize your time when in port without the expense and hassle of a taxi.
- Convenience & scenic: Besides never having to take your turn to get off the ship, you will never tender into port and you'll never spend days watching nothing but the vast ocean go by. Rather, you'll be cruising by ancient villages, castles and other historical and scenic sites.
- Overnight in port: You overnight both in Budapest and Vienna, plus late night departures from other cities allowing you to explore the port town in the evening. This almost never occurs on an ocean cruise.
- Inclusive pricing: Ocean cruises charge extra for everything including additional charges for excursions and wine. These extras can add significantly to your overall expenditures. On this river cruise you have seven included shore excursions, outside cabins and wine included with dinner each evening. While a river cruise might cost you more upfront, by the time you add all the extras on ocean cruises (like shore excursions and outside cabins) the price is surprisingly close.
- Educational & Local: Ocean cruises offer gambling, dancing, karaoke and Vegas-style shows. River cruises are more elegant and educational. The cuisine is local and is brought in from the local area (not shipped in from far away places with the lowest price). The quality wines (included at dinner) are from Europe's great wine regions.
- Better service: Fewer people mean more attentive service and a more personal relationship with the staff.